Site Inactive
Membership
Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Clan NewsFeed Icon

No News Is Currently Available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Infernal Flame Forum Index -> Guides & Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sebarial
Officer

re: DH "Thunder Hunter" build

Well, since D3 is down right now, thought I would help over here. This is a build that I have not yet tried but have thought about building, if I can get enough gear for it. (currently I've got a Fire Loaded for bear kinda build.) The main reason for posting this build is to give some variety to DH, as right now it seems like fire is the only way to go. I am basing this off a build posted on the D3 forums by monster25.

The Build

So I'm not in total agreeance with this design but it is a very good basis.

Use of thunder bolas, Fan of daggers and rattling roll for stun to crowd control the mobs and keep them from hitting you too hard.

Fire at will is an amazing way to cut down masses, especially with that reduced cost.

Shade will help both with large groups, and with taking down Elites, but because of the large AoE on it you still have some mobility to vault around and keep the monsters from hitting you too much.

Boar companion helps keep you alive, both with another target for mobs, and with a nice resistance and health regen, plus if you need some help pop the cooldown to make your boar taunt your enemies and pull the focus away from you

A few ways to modify this build

Change out fire at will for elemental arrow ball lightning, not as powerful, not as fast, but can hit a lot, and is cheap to spam (also if you play it right you can hit the same target multiple times with the same ball). Definitely worth trying out.

Change out boar for bat companion. You lose some life regen, and resistances, but gain faster hatred regen, and a quick hatred refill for tough mobs

Vengance dark heart can be an amazing way to dish out damage, but you will need to be able to survive in the middle of mobs for it to be really effective. You can use it in place of rain of vengance or if you are not getting hit too hard boar companion. The most efficient way I can see to dish a lot of damage with this would be to get in the middle of a mob, pop vengance and rain of vengance then use fan of daggers to stun as many monsters as possible, then just dish it out while they are helplessly slaughtered. (If you are in the middle of a mob fire at will is not nearly as effective, use bolas for the splash damage all around you)

The passives are very debatable in my opinion, but lets start with what monster25 came up with.

Archery: (he is using a 1h crossbow) for the 5% crit chance

Steady aim: for an extra 20% damage, as long as monsters don't get to close

Perfectionist: for a nice survivability boost

Singled out: for an extra 25% crit chance against monsters that are away from the pack

personally I think singled out is only good when going into boss fights, because it's not vary reliable in a game with mass quantities of mobs as is commonly the case in D3. A good alternative would be Ambush, a solid 40% damage bonus to enemies over 75% health.

Another possible passive alteration would be to remove steady aim (I find it hard to keep myself away from enemies) and use thrill of the hunt. Every enemy hit with your hatred spender (fire at will) is stunned for two seconds, every six seconds. With a stun based build like this, that can be very valuable for survivability.

You could also keep steady aim and change out perfectionist for thrill of the hunt. While you lose survivability, since you'll keeping your enemies farther away from you by stun them before they get to you, you now can dish extra damage from a safe distance.

Gear 

I won't say much about gear, as you are at the mercy of what drops, but here are a few thing to look for.

Weapon probably want to go with a 1h crossbow (and just because I want to link it *good luck*), but again, depends on what you find (a windforce is really nice for keeping enemies away from you)

Off hand emimeis duffel is good for insta-bolas damage, but if you can get a lidless-wall with high crit chance and lightning damage, that is arguably best in slot for this kind of build (that's why I say get a 1h crossbow)

Bracers as long as you have lightning damage and crit chance you're good

Belt if you can get a thundergods vigor, definatly a good choice.

Ring do I really need to say SoJ? In case I do (don't feel bad) the damage to Elites is invaluable, and if you get a lightning roll... your damage is going to skyrocket. (don't worry if on paper the SoJ doesn't look better, it is. it ALWAYS is.)

Amulet go for crit chance, crit damage, and lightning damage.

Helm if you get a good andariels visage with lightning on it...

Everything else, just go for the best you can get (...kind of obvious)

Well, that's it, hopefully this has inspired you to try something new. I know I'm excited to try to make this build work for me. Please post comments, and other ideas for the Thunder Hunter and lets see if we can make a truly electrifying build! (man, blizzard needs to hire me to write for them, I'm good!)

Slootha08

This is an interesting build. My DH is currently 68, so i think i will try this. I agree with you on the Steady Aim/ Singled Out passives, being heavily situation. If i had to switch one of those, i would probably change out Singled Out, since as you say it's only going to be reliably useful on big boss fights and not the majority of the time where you have tons of stuff in a blob running around.

Also looking at this, it seems like a pretty heavily aoe focused build. What do you think the single target output would be like for those occasions when you do only have one boss?

This build is not as hard hitting as the more popular options out there, that being said, one of the big advantages of this build is the amount of Crowd control via stun you have. So while you may find you are not killing them as fast, because of the stun, you have more control of the battle. I haven't played this build that much, (I play HC mostly, kinda scary to randomly change my build...) but I've seen pretty good damage. (ie. with my Cluster arrow fire build I Crit for 9-12 mill, with the lightning build, using Multishot I crit 6-9 mill) let me know how it works for you!

Slootha08

ok, i'll try it tonight / over the weekend and let you know my thoughts

Jump to: